Nieuws:

Welkom, Gast. Alsjeblieft inloggen of registreren.
Heb je de activerings-mail niet ontvangen?

Auteur Topic: Ubuntu installeren op Medion Akoya P7816 (MD 99076) met UEFI bios en Windows 8  (gelezen 15851 keer)

Offline JanDrake

• Lid
Ik heb deze week een nieuwe Medion Akoya gekocht bij Aldi en had flink wat problemen om Ubuntu (Zorin 6.3) er op te krijgen. Uiteindelijk is het gelukt. Daarom heb ik in het Engels een howto geschreven in de hoop dat anderen hier gemak van zullen hebben. 

How to install a dual boot system on Medion Akoya P7816(MD 99076) with UEFI BIOS and Windows 8 pre-installed.

I bought myself a Medion Akoya P7816 (MD 99076) in The Netherlands from an Aldi supermarket and wanted to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Zorin-OS 6.3), either as a primary system or as a dualboot system. The main problem I encountered was how to let the notebook start up from the DVD/CD-rom drive to access the live-cd, because this notebook has UEFI BIOS.

This is what I did and how it worked for me.

1. Make free space on the hard disk from within Windows 8
2. Adjust BIOS, so the notebook will boot from the DVD/CD-rom
3. Start Ubuntu (Zorin 6.3) live-DVD and install Ubuntu on hard disk
4. Start live-DVD again and run boot-repair (and recommended repair)
5. Reset BIOS to have a working system again

1. Make free space on the hard disk from within Windows 8

Run compmgmt.msc on Windows 8 through accessing the Powershell as administrator in a terminal. From there on, create a partition with enough size. There a reports that state that, creating the partition from the live-dvd or live-usb, rendered Windows 8 unbootable, even after doing a boot repair. So to remove that problem or having a greater chance of removing it and making sure both systems work, partition your hard drive from within Windows 8 first.
I didn't try removing Windows altogether, but you can consider doing this. In fact, why install Windows in a world without walls? So, you could try shrinking and moving the Windows-partitions with Gparted on the live-dvd after you have completed step 2.

2. Adjust UEFI BIOS

Access BIOS on start-up by pressing F2.
In “Advance” change SATA configuration from AHCI to IDE
In “Security” disable Secure Boot Management,
In “Boot” enable “Launch CSM” (Compatibility Support Module),
and check that Fast boot is disabled
Press F10 and restart BIOS
Access BIOS again through F2
Check that CSM and the other changes you have made, are still enabled as above. Now you should be able to set the boot order and put DVD/CD-rom (CDD) as first option in “Boot”.
It looks as if this option is also available under “Advance”, but you don't have to change it there.
Put in the live-DVD (I used Zorin-OS 6.3 64bit, but Ubuntu 12.10 64bit or higher should do the job as well)
Press F10 and restart

3. Start live-DVD and install Ubuntu (64bit 12.10 or higher or Zorin-OS 6.3)

Install Ubuntu as you are used to. It is required to make a small partition of about 25 MB that is reserved for bios_grub. Should you forget to do this, Ubuntu will warn you. It is also mentioned that you have to create a partition with mount-point /boot/efi. You could skip this part. In case of trouble, make the partition, just to be sure.
I always use the advanced options on installation and make the following partitions in the free space on the harddisk (that I have previously created via Windows 8 or via Gparted bij starting the live-DVD first):
partition of 25 MB reserved for bios_grub
partition of 100 MB with mount point  /boot/efi  and formatted als fat32 (dispensable?)
root partition of 50 GB with mount point  /   and formatted as ext4
swap partition of 2GB
home partition for the remaining space and with mount point  /home  and formatted as ext4

Install Ubuntu as you are used to and shut down as required by opening the DVD-drive, (don't remove the live-DVD completely).

4. Start live-DVD again and run boot-repair

After shutting down, press in the DVD-drive and restart again from the live-DVD, without changing anything to your BIOS at this point. Start up from the live-DVD and run boot-repair in a terminal. Some documentation mentions that you can access the newly installed Ubuntu-OS. However, that didn't work for me, because my notebook didn't start any OS at this point because of the changes I made in BIOS. So, start the live-DVD again.

Open a terminal and copy-paste the following commands in the terminal and follow the instructions.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair 
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install boot-repair
Now run boot-repair  from the terminal
Remember to keep Grub 2 by answering 'No' to the prompt message.
You will have to open a second terminal in the process. Do this and copy-paste the commands that you receive. Boot Repair will mention that we have some GRUB error and that we have an EFI system. Just click on Apply so boot repair fixes everything.

Now shut down the live-DVD and go to the next stage.

5. Reset BIOS to have a working system again

Now you have to reset most of the BIOS to be able to access the Grub-menu you are used to on a dual boot system.
Access BIOS on start-up by pressing F2.
In “Advance” change SATA from IDE to AHCI (not necessary for the system to work)
In “Security” keep Secure Boot Management disabled
In “Boot” enable Fast boot (not necessary, but your notebook will start a little quicker and Grub will show in a nice large screen on start-up. The downside is that you don't see the Medion start-up screen during future start-ups and you have to be quick to press F2 when you want to access BIOS
In “Boot” disable “Launch CSM”again.
Press F10 and restart BIOS
Access BIOS again through F2
In “Boot” check that Launch CSM is disabled and the other resets you have changed as mentioned above are still as they should be right now.
Now you should be able to reset the Boot Option 1 to 'Windows Boot Managemer' as well.
Press F10 and restart

Now you should see Grub and be able to dual boot your system.

Other documentation on this subject in order of usefulness:
1. Ask Ubuntu: http://askubuntu.com/questions/221835/installing-ubuntu-on-a-pre-installed-uefi-supported-windows-8-system
2. Ubuntu community: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
3. Dutch forum: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org/installatie/ubuntu-installeren-met-windows-8-en-uefi/msg871862/#msg871862
4. Ask Ubuntu: http://askubuntu.com/questions/193103/ubuntu-install-and-dual-boot-with-windows-8-uefi

Hoi, ik weet niet of er veel verschil in zit, maar ik heb de Medion Akoya E6232 MD99070) met UEFI bios en Windows 8

Er is een DVD met Windows 8 bijgeleverd, en een DVD met allerlei andere software.
Gehele harde schijf (alle partities) verwijderd.  In de Bios was een mogelijkheid van Legacy, Dualboot, UEFI. Gekozen voor Legacy.

Windows 8 via de DVD opnieuw geïnstalleerd. Voordeel hiervan is, dat allerlei extra software nu niet meegeïnstalleerd wordt. Dus een schone Windows 8.
Geen enkel probleem tegengekomen.

Voor mijzelf is Windows niet interessant, maar ik meld het hier maar even, zodat men weet dat er een DVD met Windows 8 meegeleverd wordt. Dus je kunt altijd Windows 8 weer installeren indien je dat wenst.

Daarna Ubuntu geïnstalleerd. Ook hier geen problemen tegengekomen. Alles werkt zoals het werken moet.

@JanDrake,

Een heel goed initiatief om je bevindingen met ons te delen, bedankt  :)

Offline Nollie

• Lid
Tja... net 6 weken geleden Win8 eraf gegooid omdat het mij niet lukte.
Ubuntu 18.10 en Win10 op Intel Core i5-3350P, 3,8 Gb Ram.

Offline jozik

• Lid
Enorm bedankt. Ben gigantisch aan het klooien geweest om Linux Mint naast Win8 te krijgen op m'n Akoya E4056 D. Niets lukte, tot ik dit stuk vond en probeerde. Een paar dingetjes gingen iets anders (hoefde in boot-repair niets in een tweede terminal te doen), maar het resultaat is een werkende Grub met keuzes uit Mint en Win8.
In 1987 begon ik met Windows (versie 1.0 op 5.25" diskettes). Verstand komt blijkbaar met de jaren...

Offline gjk

• Lid
Bedankt JanDrake voor jouw verhaal,
Dat bevestigd mijn vermoeden dat mijn DVD speler niet defect zal zijn. In de BIOS staat ook de functie AHCI ingesteld. Maar in jouw verhaal komt niet voor dat dit moet ivm met een SSD en dat las ik weer in ¨optimaliseer uw Solid State Driver voor Linux¨. Ik kon dus ook geen Linux installeren vanaf een DVD, daarom een externe DVD speler gebruikt en dat ging wel dus.
Weer wat geleerd.
Jan.