Nieuws:

Welkom, Gast. Alsjeblieft inloggen of registreren.
Heb je de activerings-mail niet ontvangen?

Auteur Topic: Aanpassen "toepassing"menu in Xubuntu  (gelezen 1078 keer)

artvds2708

• Gast
Aanpassen "toepassing"menu in Xubuntu
« Gepost op: 2007/08/25, 18:44:10 »
Bij Ubuntu kon ik middels de rechtermuisknop de inhoud van het "toepassing"menu aanpassen ... dus wel of niet een bepaald programma in je lijstje opnemen.
Maar hoe werkt dat bij Xubuntu.
Als ik, middels rechtermuisknop, menu bewerken aanklik dan krijg ik een heel ander beeld dan dat ik gewend ben.
Hoe werkt dit scherm.
Ik wil namelijk het mapje Overige eruit halen, en Multimedia aanpassen.
Graag uitleg / advies
BVD

artvds2708

• Gast
« Reactie #1 Gepost op: 2007/08/26, 15:08:12 »
Voor mij hoeft het niet meer, ik ben terug naar Ubuntu, maar misschien wel handig voor een ander als er een antwoord komt
;)

« Reactie #2 Gepost op: 2007/08/26, 19:50:40 »
Toen ik Xubuntu net had wou ik ook het een en ander aanpassen, ik heb daar toen in het engelstalige forum over geschreven, niet helemaal to the point, maar het komt in de buurt:

When I installend Openoffice in Xubuntu there were a few things I didn't like about it. Here I describe how I resolved these.

2) in the Applications menu under Office there are different "buttons" all activating the same universal Openoffice starter window where you are next supposed to open an existing document, from template and choose your openoffice application. So selecting the openoffice.org Drawing option has the same result as selecting the openoffice Word Processing option. This I found inconvenient, I prefer to make my selection directly in the Appllications menu.
- To solve this you can change programname.desktop files. They are to be found in /urs/share/applications. To open such a file you need to have root privilages. I opened a terminal, and typed "sudo thunar". This opens a Thunar file browser with root privileges. (leave the terminal open, otherwise Thunar also closes) I don't know if this is neat, I am totally new on linux (four days). In Thunar browse to /usr/share/applications. There you can find the different openoffice icons (files). First I renamed them, for they have a name too long to be nice in a menu. For example Openoffice.org Drawing I renamed to Ooo Drawing. Renaming can be done by right clicking the icon in Thunar and then choosing Rename.
Next I opened the .desktop file I want to change in mousepad, this can be done by right clicking the icon in Thunar and then choosing open wit Mousepad. In mousepad you see the settings. Look for a line which looks like:
Exec=ooffice -draw %U
I think this is the command for executing the program. I am not going to explain how, but I found out that removing the %U stops the openoffice application from opening in a universal way, but opens, in this case, Openoffice Drawing, directly. If you remove the %U, and save the file in mousepad, this doesn't have effect immedeately. To make the change effective I found out that selecting Settings from the Applications panel and then Menu editor opens a window where you can change the visabillity, do this, and then close the window and save. This makes all changes made in the .desktop file effective. Don't forget to change the visabillity back later!

3) Some applications do not appear under the right category in the Applications menu.
- Next thing to change in de .desktop file can be where in the Applications menu you want the program to appear. This you can modify by changing a line which looks like:
Categories=Graphics;VectorGraphics
In this case you can insert for example Office; in front of Graphics:
Categories=Office;Graphics;VectorGraphics
This makes the program appear in the Applications menu under Office in stead of under Graphics.

4) Some applications that do have a .desktopfile in /usr/share/applications do not appear in the Applications menu.
- Another line in the .desktop file I changed is about the visabillity in the menu This can be set by a line in the .desktopfile that look like:
NoDisplay=false
Changing " false" for " true" , or inserting the whole line at the end of the .desktopfile when it is not part of the file yet will remove the item from the Applications menu. Desktopfiles which are not visable in the applications menu, like Openoffice.org Formula, you can make appear by changing true to false.

5) You can probably make your own .desktop file for any program by copying an existing .desktop file and modifying it to your own purpose.

I hope that somebody finds this usefull. I am absolutely new into linux so please forgive me if this is bad advise.

Thomas de Graaff.