Nieuws:

Welkom, Gast. Alsjeblieft inloggen of registreren.
Heb je de activerings-mail niet ontvangen?

Auteur Topic: UPC Problem with cable modem  (gelezen 3173 keer)

thanasisk

• Gast
UPC Problem with cable modem
« Gepost op: 2008/02/10, 15:42:55 »
Hello,
First of all please forgive me for using the English language but as I have recently moved here, I do not speak Dutch (yet smile )
When I install Linux (so far I have tried Ubuntu, Mint and Debian), I cannot get it to DHCP to my UPC Arris modem.

The modem is working fine on windows and since I am connecting using Ethernet it is not a driver issue.

I have tried rebooting the modem after installing linux, no luck.
I believe it is a peculiarity of UPC so please since it is a Dutch ISP I think it is better to ask the question here. So regarding this issue anyone has any ideas?
Changing ISPs for the time being is not an option smile
Unfortunately, UPC does not support Linux  (as far as I was able to deduct using a dictionary from their page)

Bedankt!

« Reactie #1 Gepost op: 2008/02/10, 15:58:41 »
Hello,

You can try to look at the settings from Windows (i don't know how to get there by heart, but someone here does???), and try to recreate those settings in Ubuntu. I first had problems too with my modem/router (speedtouch), but after putting exactly the same config in Linux as in Windows, I could connect after a reboot of both my pc and my router.

If you can't get DHCP to work, why not try and use a static ip address? Make sure you know where to find your router on the network (it's ip). Type "ifconfig" in the terminal (without quotes) so you can see what the address of your standard gateway (=router) is. If you don't see anything mentioned about gateways there, try opening a shell under windows (Win key+R and type cmd in the window that appears) and type "ipconfig" (without quotes) there. Note that under linux, you should type ifconfig with an F, whereas on Windows you have to type ipconfig with a P.

I hope this helps!

- SeySayux
I use a Unix-based system, that means I'll get laid as often as I have to reboot.
LibSylph
SeySayux.net

« Reactie #2 Gepost op: 2008/02/10, 16:28:18 »
thanasisk, i had the same problem to , before shutdown/reboot Windows gif de command cmd then you get the command screen, then you gif the command ipconfig /release,attention see de space between ipconfig and /release. ENTER and now your ip freed and that do de trick. Fore me. :)
I hope you understand al i wrote.

White kind regarards,

Gijs
In der Beschränkung zeigt sich der Meister.

« Reactie #3 Gepost op: 2008/02/10, 16:40:41 »
Citaat van: Gijsbert
thanasisk, i had the same problem to , before shutdown/reboot Windows gif de command cmd then you get the command screen, then you gif the command ipconfig /release,attention see de space between ipconfig and /release. ENTER and now your ip freed and that do de trick. Fore me. :)
I hope you understand al i wrote.

White kind regarards,

Gijs
Ik versta er al geen barst van, wat zou hij het verstaan? ;)

thanasisk, I believe he ment that you have to open a shell in Windows (like I explained in my previous post) and enter the command "ipconfig /release" (without quotes) before you shut down or reboot your computer. It "frees" your IP so Linux can "take" it again. There is possibly a way to automate this at every poweroff, but only I don't know how. It is likely that it involves registery hacking.

- SeySayux
I use a Unix-based system, that means I'll get laid as often as I have to reboot.
LibSylph
SeySayux.net

« Reactie #4 Gepost op: 2008/02/10, 17:09:49 »
SeySayux,you never now, gelukkig heb jij er nog wat knaps van gemaakt. Ik heb in ieder geval mijn best gedaan. ;)
Ik zag dat het topic er nogmaals stond en het probleem is inmiddels opgelost.
Met vriendelijke groet,

Gijs
In der Beschränkung zeigt sich der Meister.